Experienced. Knowledgeable.
Passionate. Dedicated.

Protecting Your Time With Your Child

If you are a parent who has separated from your spouse or significant other, you likely have many concerns for the future, not the least of which is the effect it will have on your child or children. You are probably worried about how much time you will be able to spend with your child. You may worry about what type of co-parent your ex will be. You may even worry about financial support for your child.

At Law Office of Pamela M. Gordon P.A., we can help you through all of these issues. Attorney Pamela M. Gordon is an established lawyer with over 23 years of experience, and she handles every family law case with compassion, dedication and skill. She knows how stressful this time is for you and your entire family. She will guide you through the law and your options throughout the process, so you can make the best decisions possible for you and your child.

Florida’s Approach To Child Time-Sharing

Florida law refers to child custody as “time-sharing.” A judge considering issues of time-sharing will make their decision through the lens of what is in the best interest of the child. They may consider many factors, such as:

  • Each parent’s mental and physical health
  • The child’s home, school and community record
  • Each parent’s involvement in the child’s daily activities
  • Each parent’s ability to provide a stable and consistent routine for the child

These are just a few examples. A judge may decide to give you visitation rights, sole custody or joint custody with your ex. The law generally favors involvement by both parents in a child’s life. If you are a father who was never married to the mother, however, you may need to establish paternity before you can request a time-sharing order from the court.

Judges understand that situations change for parents and children over time. For that reason, you can always modify a visitation or time-sharing order if you have had a significant change in circumstances. For example, if one parent decides to move, you must decide whether the child will relocate with that parent, which might have a significant impact on the current order.

Taking A Gentler Approach

Studies have shown that when parents create their own time-sharing/co-parenting plan, it tends to be more successful. No judge will ever know your family better than you do. If you and your ex can come together to create a plan that works for everyone involved, you may save yourself time and money and also set the stage for a respectful co-parenting relationship. That can have countless emotional benefits for your child.

You have options in how you approach this process. Ms. Gordon can simply try to negotiate an agreement on your behalf, but many people find they like to be more involved. Mediation allows the parties to talk through all the issues with a facilitator present. If you are dedicated to an entirely non-adversarial divorce process, you may want to consider collaborative divorce. We can help you decide on the process that works best for you.

We Are On Your Side

We are here to fight for your relationship with your child now and in the future. To schedule an initial consultation, contact our office in Hollywood by calling 954-416-2535 or filling out our online form.